Updated Feb 20, 2014 - 9:34 am
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson shares his thoughts on MLB instant replay
The use of expanded instant replay was unanimously approved by MLB owners in January, but the sport's managers aren't unified in their reaction to the sweeping changes the system will bring. Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson is, shall we say, cautiously optimistic about the new regulations.
"Personally for me, I can live with the old system. I like the human element," Gibson told Doug and Wolf Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "It puts accountability on us all. But at the same time, that's where the game has decided it wants to go."
Gibson, who is entering his fourth full season as a big league manager, wasn't overly critical of the implementation of expanded instant replay. In fact, he thinks it could eventually be a positive.
"We've made a lot of good decisions in the game over the years and they've been good for the game. This one can work too," he said. "I know they don't want (the game) to get bogged down where we're sitting and looking at replays all the time. I think they'll have a quick fashion to resolve it. They're virtually going to review these plays, is my understanding -- it'll be going on before I even go out there to dispute it.
"I guess I have to be for it, I'm not going to fight it -- I'd be in the minority, I think, if I did."
It's interesting to note that the Diamondbacks will only have 160 of their 162 regular season games governed by the new system. Their season-opening two-game series against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Australia will not feature expanded replay because the technology is not available at the historic Sydney Cricket Ground.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.