Trevor Cahill tends to get 'over-analytical', says D-backs manager
In three seasons since -- one more with the A's and two with the Arizona Diamondbacks -- he has gone 33-36 with a 3.98 ERA.
Despite the fact that Cahill, 25, has what's considered to be the most lively repertoire of pitches on the team, he has struggled to command it. Last season, the right-hander led the National League in wild pitches, with 17 in 25 starts, while walking 65 -- one fewer than Wade Miley, who tossed 56 more innings than Cahill.
This season, the pitcher will look to simplify things and "trust his stuff," as manager Kirk Gibson constantly encourages him to do.
"I think Trevor sometimes gets over-analytical and we're trying to minimize that," Gibson said over the weekend while discussing Cahill's outlook this season.
"We're trying to get him to just stay focused on his next pitch."
Last season, the pitcher's seeming lack of confidence manifested in his delivery during some points of the season, as he dropped his arm slot lower to his side in order to "manipulate the ball", according to Gibson, when throwing his signature pitch -- a sinking fastball.
After tweaking that, though, and relying more on the natural movement in his pitches, Cahill got results down the stretch.
Despite finishing sixth in the NL in walks-per-nine-innings, with a rate of 3.99, Cahill went 4-0 after Aug. 17, logging a 2.20 ERA over 45.0 innings pitched.
Headed into 2014, Gibson's advice to his pitcher is pretty straightforward: "Try and keep it just simpler."
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.