Trevor Cahill tends to get 'over-analytical', says D-backs manager
In three seasons since -- one more with the A's and two with the Arizona Diamondbacks -- he has gone 33-36 with a 3.98 ERA.
Despite the fact that Cahill, 25, has what's considered to be the most lively repertoire of pitches on the team, he has struggled to command it. Last season, the right-hander led the National League in wild pitches, with 17 in 25 starts, while walking 65 -- one fewer than Wade Miley, who tossed 56 more innings than Cahill.
This season, the pitcher will look to simplify things and "trust his stuff," as manager Kirk Gibson constantly encourages him to do.
"I think Trevor sometimes gets over-analytical and we're trying to minimize that," Gibson said over the weekend while discussing Cahill's outlook this season.
"We're trying to get him to just stay focused on his next pitch."
Last season, the pitcher's seeming lack of confidence manifested in his delivery during some points of the season, as he dropped his arm slot lower to his side in order to "manipulate the ball", according to Gibson, when throwing his signature pitch -- a sinking fastball.
After tweaking that, though, and relying more on the natural movement in his pitches, Cahill got results down the stretch.
Despite finishing sixth in the NL in walks-per-nine-innings, with a rate of 3.99, Cahill went 4-0 after Aug. 17, logging a 2.20 ERA over 45.0 innings pitched.
Headed into 2014, Gibson's advice to his pitcher is pretty straightforward: "Try and keep it just simpler."
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.