Updated Feb 7, 2014 - 3:10 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks sign free agent pitcher Bronson Arroyo
Gambadoro is reporting the deal is for two years, with a team option for a third. ESPN's Buster Olney reports Arroyo will be paid $9.5 million in each of the first two years, with a $4.5 million buyout or $11 million option in 2016.
So in total, as Gambadoro also reported, Arroyo is guaranteed at least $23.5 million in the deal.
Arroyo went 14-12 in 32 starts with the Cincinnati Reds last season. He had an ERA of 3.79 and struck out 124 batters in 202 innings of work.
A known innings eater, Arroyo has topped the 200-inning mark in eight of his 10 seasons since becoming a full-time starter in 2004.
In 2006, he led baseball with 240.2 innings pitched.
Arroyo, who will be 37 on opening day, pitched for the Pittsburgh Pirates and Boston Red Sox before joining the Reds in 2006.
For his career, Arroyo is 138-127 with a 4.19 ERA.
The Diamondbacks were reportedly the favorites to sign Arroyo earlier in the week.
Earlier in the offseason the D-backs, who had been known to be seeking another starting pitcher, made a run at Japanese star Masahiro Tanaka. The right-hander decided to sign with the New York Yankees.
Arroyo told ESPN's Jayson Stark last week contracts like the one Tanaka received frustrated him.
"I get (Clayton) Kershaw," Arroyo said. "I get why he got all that money. But then you've got guys like Dice-K (Matsuzaka), who came over here and was good for the first couple years but then didn't pan out. And when he doesn't pan out, they all just forget and go on to the next guy who's not proven, and pay him.
"Meanwhile, they forget about guys like me, who have done the job for the last eight or 10 years, and treat them like they've never done anything in this game. That's hard, man."
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.