Updated Feb 6, 2014 - 6:44 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks, Mark Trumbo agree to contract and avoid arbitration
In January, CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman reported Trumbo was asking for $5.85 million while the D-backs were offering $3.4 million.
Earlier in the week, D-backs GM Kevin Towers inferred that it may be a bit of a challenge to avoid arbitration with Trumbo, but said, "We're going to continue to have dialogue right up until the hearing. Hopefully we avoid it and get something done, and I'm positive we will -- or hopeful that we will."
Trumbo was acquired by the Diamondbacks in a three-team trade that saw the D-backs part with left-handed pitcher Tyler Skaggs and outfielder Adam Eaton.
The 28-year-old slugger hit .234 with 34 home runs and 100 RBI for the Los Angeles Angels last season. Over three full big league seasons, he has hit 95 home runs and driven in 284.
- Agent: 'I think a guy like Archie Bradley warrants that opportunity'
- Braves vs Phillies postponed by rain
- No Drew: Steinbrenner: 'I'm pretty content'
- ESPN Insider Keith Law paints dark picture for D-backs' future
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter can't stop bleeding, D-backs extend skid to season high-tying 4 games
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?