Updated Feb 6, 2014 - 6:44 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks, Mark Trumbo agree to contract and avoid arbitration
In January, CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman reported Trumbo was asking for $5.85 million while the D-backs were offering $3.4 million.
Earlier in the week, D-backs GM Kevin Towers inferred that it may be a bit of a challenge to avoid arbitration with Trumbo, but said, "We're going to continue to have dialogue right up until the hearing. Hopefully we avoid it and get something done, and I'm positive we will -- or hopeful that we will."
Trumbo was acquired by the Diamondbacks in a three-team trade that saw the D-backs part with left-handed pitcher Tyler Skaggs and outfielder Adam Eaton.
The 28-year-old slugger hit .234 with 34 home runs and 100 RBI for the Los Angeles Angels last season. Over three full big league seasons, he has hit 95 home runs and driven in 284.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.