Updated Jan 22, 2014 - 8:35 am
Report: Arizona Diamondbacks 1 of 5 teams left in Masahiro Tanaka sweepstakes
According to the report, the D-backs, Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Yankees, Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox still have a chance to land the 25-year-old right-hander, who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA in 2013 with the Rakuten Golden Eagles.
The Cubs are expected to make the most lucrative offer, according to the report, which also said rumors have the bidding narrowed to just the Cubs and Yankees -- though those are, at this point, just rumors.
Tanaka has until 3 p.m. Friday to reach a decision, though it is believed he will agree in principle to a contract before then.
The D-backs reportedly made a six-year offer worth about $120 million during a meeting with Tanaka. Whichever team he chooses will pay $20 million, as part of Major League Baseball's new international posting rules.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.