ESPN insider: Catcher Miguel Montero will be D-backs' 'linchpin' in 2014
In an ESPN insider piece this weekend, Buster Olney released his '30 Linchpin Players of 2014' -- a list of the one player for "each of the 30 teams whose performance will be most pivotal."
When it came to the D-backs, Olney believes the onus will be on catcher Miguel Montero to have a big year.
Arizona Diamondbacks: Miguel Montero. They greatly value him, and they're paying him to be a key part of their lineup. When he didn't hit last season, it really, really hurt; he must be an effective complement to Paul Goldschmidt.
Montero, who signed a new five-year, $60-million deal back in May 2012, struggled mightily last season, batting just .230 with 11 home runs and 42 RBI -- his lowest offensive outputs since 2010.
To make matters worse, Montero directed a starting pitching staff that finished No. 19 in ERA (4.13), No. 19 in WHIP (1.32), No. 22 in opponents' BAA (.264) No. 25 in wins (46).
In addition to his struggles on the field, the seven-year veteran missed a majority of August due to a lower back strain.
Montero also underwent surgery to clean up an infection in his left index finger back in October but is expected to be at full strength in 2014. He along with Trumbo will be asked to serve as some additional lineup protection for Paul Goldschmidt (.302 batting average, 36 home runs and 125 RBI), who finished second in the MVP voting despite the catcher's woeful campaign in 2013.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.