ESPN insider: Catcher Miguel Montero will be D-backs' 'linchpin' in 2014
In an ESPN insider piece this weekend, Buster Olney released his '30 Linchpin Players of 2014' -- a list of the one player for "each of the 30 teams whose performance will be most pivotal."
When it came to the D-backs, Olney believes the onus will be on catcher Miguel Montero to have a big year.
Arizona Diamondbacks: Miguel Montero. They greatly value him, and they're paying him to be a key part of their lineup. When he didn't hit last season, it really, really hurt; he must be an effective complement to Paul Goldschmidt.
Montero, who signed a new five-year, $60-million deal back in May 2012, struggled mightily last season, batting just .230 with 11 home runs and 42 RBI -- his lowest offensive outputs since 2010.
To make matters worse, Montero directed a starting pitching staff that finished No. 19 in ERA (4.13), No. 19 in WHIP (1.32), No. 22 in opponents' BAA (.264) No. 25 in wins (46).
In addition to his struggles on the field, the seven-year veteran missed a majority of August due to a lower back strain.
Montero also underwent surgery to clean up an infection in his left index finger back in October but is expected to be at full strength in 2014. He along with Trumbo will be asked to serve as some additional lineup protection for Paul Goldschmidt (.302 batting average, 36 home runs and 125 RBI), who finished second in the MVP voting despite the catcher's woeful campaign in 2013.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.