Report: Arizona Diamondbacks offer Masahiro Tanaka 6-year, $120M contract
(Note: The link is in Japanese.)
The report says the Diamondbacks offered Tanaka a six-year contract worth 12 billion yen -- a little more than $115 million, based on current exchange rates. According to the report, all offers have been worth at least $100 million over six years.
The report says that Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick and president and CEO Derrick Hall met with Tanaka, who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA with the Rakuten Golden Eagles last season.
The New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs have all made formal offers, according to the report.
The 25-year-old Tanaka has until Jan. 24 to pick a team, and whichever team he chooses will pay $20 million to Rakuten, according to Major League Baseball's new posting rules.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.