Diamondbacks name Chris Cron minor league hitting coordinator
Cron, 49, previously was the manager of the Detroit Tigers' Double-A affiliate. He will enter his 30th season in professional baseball when he starts with the Diamondbacks organization.
Cron won Manager of the Year awards in the Carolina League in 1998 and the Pioneer League in 2010, and he led a Chicago White Sox affiliate to a Pioneer League Championship in 2008.
The D-backs' new hitting coach also played 12 years in the minor leagues for the White Sox, Atlanta Braves, California Angels and Cleveland Indians. He had stints with the Angels and the White Sox in the Majors in 1991 and 1992, respectively.
Cron is a native of Albuquerque, N.M., and was selected by Atlanta in the second round of the 1984 draft.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.