Updated Jan 7, 2014 - 9:21 am
Cody Ross hopes to be 'a big part' of 2014 D-backs
The Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder, who was carted off the field that mid-August day, had to receive season-ending surgery for the injury, later revealed as a dislocated hip, with a return timetable set for mid-Spring Training.
With pitchers and catchers reporting in less than 50 days, Ross, a 10-year veteran, feels he can hit that timetable.
After three months of intense rehabilitation, he is ahead of schedule.
"It was a tough, grueling few months," Ross told Arizona Sports' Hot Stove Show on Monday.
"(But rehabilitation) is definitely a lot better and quicker than all of us thought."
The 33-year-old Ross was hitting .278 with 38 RBI in 94 games for the Diamondbacks before the injury, suffered on Aug. 11.
"Now we're starting to get into the running and I'm doing all baseball activities -- hitting, throwing, I'm doing everything," Ross told the show.
During the moment of injury, three things occurred.
Ross hyperextended his leg, which caused a force to rush from his caught foot, through his knee and into his hip. His hip socket popped out of place and a piece of the wall of his hip broke off.
Given its gruesome nature, a Spring Training return might have seemed like a longshot.
Now, though, in a new year, Ross feels optimistic about his chances to not only make it back, but also to make an impact for the 2014 team.
"I put the time and the effort in to get back and hopefully be a big part of this team next year."
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.