Diamondbacks' extension of Goldschmidt's contract called one of the best moves of 2013
In March, the Diamondbacks finalized a five-year, $32 million extension with the then-25-year-old slugger, and he proceeded to smack 36 home runs and 125 RBI while hitting .302 in 2013, becoming the brightest spot of an 81-81 club.
MLB Trade Rumors expounded on its inclusion of Goldschmidt's contract extension in the year-end list:
This one does not require much explanation. Goldschmidt signed his extension with Arizona after a very promising run in his first season of full-time action. Then, he nearly won an MVP award.
All nine transactions were placed in a poll for readers to vote on, and at the moment, Goldschmidt leads the pack by more than 200 votes over Boston's extension of Dustin Pedroia's contract.
Goldschmidt has 14.5 percent of the total vote at this time, while Pedroia has garnered 13.1 percent of votes.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.