Diamondbacks' extension of Goldschmidt's contract called one of the best moves of 2013
In March, the Diamondbacks finalized a five-year, $32 million extension with the then-25-year-old slugger, and he proceeded to smack 36 home runs and 125 RBI while hitting .302 in 2013, becoming the brightest spot of an 81-81 club.
MLB Trade Rumors expounded on its inclusion of Goldschmidt's contract extension in the year-end list:
This one does not require much explanation. Goldschmidt signed his extension with Arizona after a very promising run in his first season of full-time action. Then, he nearly won an MVP award.
All nine transactions were placed in a poll for readers to vote on, and at the moment, Goldschmidt leads the pack by more than 200 votes over Boston's extension of Dustin Pedroia's contract.
Goldschmidt has 14.5 percent of the total vote at this time, while Pedroia has garnered 13.1 percent of votes.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.