Updated Dec 28, 2013 - 9:11 am
D-backs have had discussions with Masahiro Tanaka's agent
"The Arizona Diamondbacks have had initial discussions with Casey Close, the agent for Masahiro Tanaka," Gambadoro said on Friday's Burns & Gambo Show. "That is the first step. They are not alone. There are several teams that will be having discussions with Casey Close. He represents Masahiro Tanaka, as well as Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke. He also represents Derek Jeter.
"He is the agent. The Diamondbacks have reached out to him. They have had discussions regarding Tanaka. And they will have more discussions."
The news comes just a day after ESPN.com baseball insider Jim Bowden detailed the five teams most likely to land Tanaka, with the D-backs failing to make the list.
Largely considered the gem of the Major League Baseball free agency market, Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA last season with his Nippon Professional Baseball team, the Rakuten Eagles.
According to MLB spokesman Michael Teevan, all bids must be submitted by Jan. 24 at 5:00 p.m. EST. Based on a new agreement between MLB and NPB, posting fees for Tanaka will be capped at $20 million.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?