Updated Dec 28, 2013 - 9:11 am
D-backs have had discussions with Masahiro Tanaka's agent
"The Arizona Diamondbacks have had initial discussions with Casey Close, the agent for Masahiro Tanaka," Gambadoro said on Friday's Burns & Gambo Show. "That is the first step. They are not alone. There are several teams that will be having discussions with Casey Close. He represents Masahiro Tanaka, as well as Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke. He also represents Derek Jeter.
"He is the agent. The Diamondbacks have reached out to him. They have had discussions regarding Tanaka. And they will have more discussions."
The news comes just a day after ESPN.com baseball insider Jim Bowden detailed the five teams most likely to land Tanaka, with the D-backs failing to make the list.
Largely considered the gem of the Major League Baseball free agency market, Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA last season with his Nippon Professional Baseball team, the Rakuten Eagles.
According to MLB spokesman Michael Teevan, all bids must be submitted by Jan. 24 at 5:00 p.m. EST. Based on a new agreement between MLB and NPB, posting fees for Tanaka will be capped at $20 million.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.