Updated Dec 26, 2013 - 1:39 pm
Diamondbacks linked to free agent pitcher Bronson Arroyo
Arroyo, who turns 37 in February, has been in the big leagues for 14 seasons, spending the last eight with the Cincinnati Reds. ESPN's Jerry Crasnick said the pitcher is seeking a three-year deal and is a potential fit with all of the Los Angeles Angels, Baltimore Orioles and Arizona Diamondbacks, along with the New York Yankees and Pittsburgh Pirates, who originally drafted Arroyo in 1995.
The remaining free agent pitchers -- Matt Garza, A.J. Burnett, Jason Hammel, Ubaldo Jimenez, Ervin Santana and Masahiro Tanaka -- will inevitably play a major role in the market for Arroyo.
With a lifetime 138-127 record and a 4.19 ERA, Arroyo is hardly the most attractive of free agent pitchers available, especially considering his age.
Arroyo is 6-5 in 13 career starts at Chase Field, posting a 4.52 ERA in 83.2 total innings pitched at the venue. Since 2000, only two pitchers have allowed more home runs than the right-hander, who has given up 314 longballs in his career.
An innings-eater, Arroyo has tossed 200 innings or more in all but one of his last nine seasons -- only failing to do so in 2011, when he managed to throw 199.0 innings.
Last season, Arroyo went 14-12 with a 3.79 ERA -- similar to his 2012 campaign, which resulted in a 12-10 win-loss record and 3.74 ERA.
Arroyo was once in All-Star, in 2006 when he tossed a league-high 240.2 innings for the Reds.
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.