Updated Dec 20, 2013 - 4:36 pm
Diamondbacks extend relief pitcher Brad Ziegler
Just agreed to an extension with the @Dbacks! Really excited to stay in Arizona for a couple more years, at least!— Brad Ziegler (@BradZiegler) December 20, 2013
The Diamondbacks announced the deal, adding that it allows both sides to avoid arbitration. Their commitment to the side-armed throwing Ziegler isn't surprising, given his effective stint with the team over the last three seasons. Since being acquired by the Diamondbacks at the trade deadline in 2011, Ziegler has pitched 162.1 innings, compiling a 2.10 ERA while leading baseball in groundball rate each season.
He's happy to be staying with the team and happy it was finished before next week.
"I'm ecstatic! Glad we could work this out before the holidays -- it's a nice Christmas present," Ziegler said via text.
In 2013, Ziegler filled in at the back end of the Diamondbacks bullpen, getting 13 saves in 15 opportunities and assuming the closer role for most of the second half of the season, appearing in 78 games while going 8-1.
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported the financials of Ziegler's contract following the player's tweet.
Ziegler two-year deal with #DBacks worth $10.5M guaranteed. $4.5M, $5.5M, $1M buyout or $5.5M option.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 20, 2013
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.