Updated Dec 20, 2013 - 12:11 pm
D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
On Friday, the team officially announced that they had agreed to terms with Chavez -- confirming multiple reports on the matter earlier in the week.
It was known that the Valley resident was interested in rejoining the Diamondbacks, but he was reportedly monitoring the team's offseason activity while gauging his decision.
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, who originally reported the deal on Wednesday, when the agreement was just verbal, reports that the contract is worth $4.5 million, as long as the third baseman makes the roster out of spring training.
When healthy, the left-handed hitting Chavez played a key bench role for the Diamondbacks last season -- hitting .281/ .332/ .478 with 44 RBI over 80 games.
Chavez twice hit the 15-day disabled list last season, once with an oblique injury and once with a knee strain while missing 15 and 25 games respectively on the stints. In July, the former Oakland Athletic and New York Yankee also missed four games with a hip injury.
The six-time Gold Glover (2001-2006) boasts a .268 lifetime batting average, tallying 257 career home runs and an .818 on-base plus slugging percentage. He captured a Silver Slugger award in 2002 for his offensive exploits as the Athletics' third baseman.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.