Updated Dec 17, 2013 - 1:53 pm
D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
Yet what they wanted was not the only thing that helped shape their game plan.
The team's top pitching prospect, Archie Bradley, was often brought up by other teams when it came to trade ideas. And every time, D-backs GM Kevin Towers said the team's plans for the right-hander led to them saying no thanks.
"That's what really came down to some of the decisions at the winter meetings," Towers told the Hot Stove Show Monday night.
The GM said the names Jeff Samardzija, Chris Sale and David Price were brought up as possible return pieces in deals involving Bradley, but there was little interest from his end in making a deal that meant moving the prized prospect.
"We really feel this guy has a chance to be something special in a hurry," he said. "He's had success at every level; he's very, very competitive and somebody that we think is going to come in and knowing somebody like Archie, he's not going to come in just trying to win a spot, he's going to try to be the Opening Day pitcher in Australia.
"So we have to kind of hold him back a little bit. But this guy's going to get every opportunity to try to make our club."
The seventh overall selection in the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft out of Broken Arrow High School in Oklahoma, Bradley posted a 12-5 record with a 1.97 ERA in Double-A Mobile last season.
The 20-year-old right-hander has compiled a 26-11 record with a 2.76 ERA in 290 minor league innings, while striking out 318 and walking 153.
Given the current makeup of the team's starting rotation, it looks like Bradley will be competing with a few others for one final spot, as Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill and Brandon McCarthy are already entrenched as starters.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.