Updated Dec 17, 2013 - 1:53 pm
D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
Yet what they wanted was not the only thing that helped shape their game plan.
The team's top pitching prospect, Archie Bradley, was often brought up by other teams when it came to trade ideas. And every time, D-backs GM Kevin Towers said the team's plans for the right-hander led to them saying no thanks.
"That's what really came down to some of the decisions at the winter meetings," Towers told the Hot Stove Show Monday night.
The GM said the names Jeff Samardzija, Chris Sale and David Price were brought up as possible return pieces in deals involving Bradley, but there was little interest from his end in making a deal that meant moving the prized prospect.
"We really feel this guy has a chance to be something special in a hurry," he said. "He's had success at every level; he's very, very competitive and somebody that we think is going to come in and knowing somebody like Archie, he's not going to come in just trying to win a spot, he's going to try to be the Opening Day pitcher in Australia.
"So we have to kind of hold him back a little bit. But this guy's going to get every opportunity to try to make our club."
The seventh overall selection in the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft out of Broken Arrow High School in Oklahoma, Bradley posted a 12-5 record with a 1.97 ERA in Double-A Mobile last season.
The 20-year-old right-hander has compiled a 26-11 record with a 2.76 ERA in 290 minor league innings, while striking out 318 and walking 153.
Given the current makeup of the team's starting rotation, it looks like Bradley will be competing with a few others for one final spot, as Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill and Brandon McCarthy are already entrenched as starters.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.