Updated Dec 17, 2013 - 9:55 am
Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
my bad. i miss-interpreted a text, valverde has NOT signed with #dbacks. he talked to them, but hes still a free agent— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 17, 2013
Jose Valverde, who got his start in the Major Leagues with the Arizona Diamondbacks, was signed to a minor-league deal by the team Tuesday, according to CBSSports.com baseball insider Jon Heyman.
Valverde, 35, pitched for the Diamondbacks from 2003 until 2007, when he was traded to the Houston Astros in a deal that brought relievers Chad Qualls and Juan Gutierrez and utility man Chris Burke to the desert.
Valverde is Arizona's all-time leader in saves with 98 and his 47 saves in 2007 still are the most in a single season for any Diamondbacks closer.
After leaving Houston via free agency prior to the 2010 season, Valverde signed with the Detroit Tigers and registered 119 saves over the next four seasons. Last year, "Papa Grande" pitched in only 20 games for the Tigers, saving nine games and registering a robust 5.59 ERA in 19.1 innings of work.
The Dominican native is a three-time All-Star and finished fifth in the 2011 American League Cy Young voting when he had 49 saves and a 2.24 ERA for the AL Central champs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.