Updated Dec 17, 2013 - 9:55 am
Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
my bad. i miss-interpreted a text, valverde has NOT signed with #dbacks. he talked to them, but hes still a free agent— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 17, 2013
Jose Valverde, who got his start in the Major Leagues with the Arizona Diamondbacks, was signed to a minor-league deal by the team Tuesday, according to CBSSports.com baseball insider Jon Heyman.
Valverde, 35, pitched for the Diamondbacks from 2003 until 2007, when he was traded to the Houston Astros in a deal that brought relievers Chad Qualls and Juan Gutierrez and utility man Chris Burke to the desert.
Valverde is Arizona's all-time leader in saves with 98 and his 47 saves in 2007 still are the most in a single season for any Diamondbacks closer.
After leaving Houston via free agency prior to the 2010 season, Valverde signed with the Detroit Tigers and registered 119 saves over the next four seasons. Last year, "Papa Grande" pitched in only 20 games for the Tigers, saving nine games and registering a robust 5.59 ERA in 19.1 innings of work.
The Dominican native is a three-time All-Star and finished fifth in the 2011 American League Cy Young voting when he had 49 saves and a 2.24 ERA for the AL Central champs.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.