Updated Dec 17, 2013 - 9:55 am
Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
my bad. i miss-interpreted a text, valverde has NOT signed with #dbacks. he talked to them, but hes still a free agent— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 17, 2013
Jose Valverde, who got his start in the Major Leagues with the Arizona Diamondbacks, was signed to a minor-league deal by the team Tuesday, according to CBSSports.com baseball insider Jon Heyman.
Valverde, 35, pitched for the Diamondbacks from 2003 until 2007, when he was traded to the Houston Astros in a deal that brought relievers Chad Qualls and Juan Gutierrez and utility man Chris Burke to the desert.
Valverde is Arizona's all-time leader in saves with 98 and his 47 saves in 2007 still are the most in a single season for any Diamondbacks closer.
After leaving Houston via free agency prior to the 2010 season, Valverde signed with the Detroit Tigers and registered 119 saves over the next four seasons. Last year, "Papa Grande" pitched in only 20 games for the Tigers, saving nine games and registering a robust 5.59 ERA in 19.1 innings of work.
The Dominican native is a three-time All-Star and finished fifth in the 2011 American League Cy Young voting when he had 49 saves and a 2.24 ERA for the AL Central champs.
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.