Report: RHP Addison Reed could be flipped for future trade
Reed, who will be 25 on Opening Day 2014, managed a career-high 40 saves with the White Sox last season, also setting career highs in wins (5), appearances (68), innings (71.1) and strikeouts (72). He had eight blown saves and a 3.79 ERA in 2013 and was brought in to help a bullpen which blew a league-high 29 saves last season.
The trade seems to betray earlier offseason sentiment by general manager Kevin Towers, who projected confidence in his internal bullpen options.
"I think the (2014) closer is in the Diamondbacks organization," he said following the conclusion of last season.
With David Hernandez, J.J. Putz and Brad Ziegler at the back of the big league bullpen and closing prospects Matt Stites and Jake Barrett climbing the ranks at the lower levels, it was easy to understand why Towers believed as much.
And one national baseball writer, USA Today's Bob Nightengale, believes Towers may still believe this.
If Reed is, indeed, flipped in a trade for a top-of-the-rotation starter, the move will presumably be to a team who has no need at third base, as Davidson's value on the hot corner now belongs to the White Sox.
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.