Report: RHP Addison Reed could be flipped for future trade
Reed, who will be 25 on Opening Day 2014, managed a career-high 40 saves with the White Sox last season, also setting career highs in wins (5), appearances (68), innings (71.1) and strikeouts (72). He had eight blown saves and a 3.79 ERA in 2013 and was brought in to help a bullpen which blew a league-high 29 saves last season.
The trade seems to betray earlier offseason sentiment by general manager Kevin Towers, who projected confidence in his internal bullpen options.
"I think the (2014) closer is in the Diamondbacks organization," he said following the conclusion of last season.
With David Hernandez, J.J. Putz and Brad Ziegler at the back of the big league bullpen and closing prospects Matt Stites and Jake Barrett climbing the ranks at the lower levels, it was easy to understand why Towers believed as much.
And one national baseball writer, USA Today's Bob Nightengale, believes Towers may still believe this.
If Reed is, indeed, flipped in a trade for a top-of-the-rotation starter, the move will presumably be to a team who has no need at third base, as Davidson's value on the hot corner now belongs to the White Sox.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.