Report: RHP Addison Reed could be flipped for future trade
Reed, who will be 25 on Opening Day 2014, managed a career-high 40 saves with the White Sox last season, also setting career highs in wins (5), appearances (68), innings (71.1) and strikeouts (72). He had eight blown saves and a 3.79 ERA in 2013 and was brought in to help a bullpen which blew a league-high 29 saves last season.
The trade seems to betray earlier offseason sentiment by general manager Kevin Towers, who projected confidence in his internal bullpen options.
"I think the (2014) closer is in the Diamondbacks organization," he said following the conclusion of last season.
With David Hernandez, J.J. Putz and Brad Ziegler at the back of the big league bullpen and closing prospects Matt Stites and Jake Barrett climbing the ranks at the lower levels, it was easy to understand why Towers believed as much.
And one national baseball writer, USA Today's Bob Nightengale, believes Towers may still believe this.
If Reed is, indeed, flipped in a trade for a top-of-the-rotation starter, the move will presumably be to a team who has no need at third base, as Davidson's value on the hot corner now belongs to the White Sox.
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.