Updated Dec 16, 2013 - 2:33 pm
D-backs swap IF Matt Davidson for White Sox RHP Addison Reed
Reed, who will be 25 on Opening Day 2014, managed a career-high 40 saves with the White Sox last season, also setting career highs in wins (5), appearances (68), innings (71.1) and strikeouts (72). He had eight blown saves and a 3.79 ERA in 2013.
Davidson, meanwhile, made his major league debut late last season with the Diamondbacks, hitting .237 with nine extra-base hits and three home runs in 76 at-bats. The 22-year-old infielder was the Diamondbacks' first round pick in 2009's First-Year Player Draft. He was named the Futures Game MVP last summer, hitting a go-ahead home run to seal the game for the U.S. team, also winning the Triple-A Home Run Derby during All-Star Weekend at Citi Field in New York. He was widely considered the Diamondbacks' best power-hitting prospect.
Reed will presumably become the Diamondbacks' closer while Davidson will join outfielder Adam Eaton in Chicago, likely becoming the White Sox's third baseman.
Davidson is the fourth Diamondbacks prospect on Baseball America's 2013 organizational Top 10 Prospects list, which was released prior to last season, to be traded away this offseason. He joins Eaton (3), Tyler Skaggs (1) and David Holmberg (6) among the departed prospects. The 6-foot-2, 225-pound infielder was also slated as the No. 4 third-base prospect in baseball, according to MLB.com. It's presumed, however, that the prospect was blocked by Towers' big acquisition last offseason, Martin Prado, and was thus a misfit on the Diamondbacks' roster.
Reed remains under Diamondbacks control until 2018, first eligible for arbitration in 2015. He joins a Diamondbacks bullpen which blew an NL-high 29 saves in 2013. The 6-foot-4, 220-pound pitcher was selected in the third round by the White Sox in the 2010 First-Year Player Draft and was considered the organization's No. 1 prospect following the 2011 season, according to Baseball America, who also called Reed's slider the best in the Chicago farm system that year.
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.