Updated Dec 12, 2013 - 8:47 am
D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
The team selected right-handed pitcher Marcos Mateo from the Chicago Cubs, then selected right-hander Michael Lee from the Atlanta Braves and left-hander Hector Hernandez from the St. Louis Cardinals in the Triple-A phase.
Mateo is a 29-year-old Dominican native who pitched 44 games out of the Cubs' bullpen in 2010 and 2011. He missed the 2012 season while recovering from Tommy John surgery, but pitched in 24 minor league games with the Cubs' Arizona Rookie League team, Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa, posting a 1-0 record and a 2.74 ERA last season.
Lee, 27, is 6-foot-7, 235-pounder who was an eighth-round pick of the Boston Red Sox in 2008. He split the 2013 season between Double-A Mississippi and Triple-A Gwinnett in the Braves organization, going 9-8 with a 3.77 ERA in 26 games (21 starts).
Hernandez, 22, spent last season in A-ball, split between Peoria of the Midwest League and Palm Beach in the High-A Florida State League. The southpaw went 8-6 with a 3.55 ERA in 22 games, 21 of which were starts.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.