Updated Dec 12, 2013 - 8:47 am
D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
The team selected right-handed pitcher Marcos Mateo from the Chicago Cubs, then selected right-hander Michael Lee from the Atlanta Braves and left-hander Hector Hernandez from the St. Louis Cardinals in the Triple-A phase.
Mateo is a 29-year-old Dominican native who pitched 44 games out of the Cubs' bullpen in 2010 and 2011. He missed the 2012 season while recovering from Tommy John surgery, but pitched in 24 minor league games with the Cubs' Arizona Rookie League team, Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa, posting a 1-0 record and a 2.74 ERA last season.
Lee, 27, is 6-foot-7, 235-pounder who was an eighth-round pick of the Boston Red Sox in 2008. He split the 2013 season between Double-A Mississippi and Triple-A Gwinnett in the Braves organization, going 9-8 with a 3.77 ERA in 26 games (21 starts).
Hernandez, 22, spent last season in A-ball, split between Peoria of the Midwest League and Palm Beach in the High-A Florida State League. The southpaw went 8-6 with a 3.55 ERA in 22 games, 21 of which were starts.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.