Updated Dec 11, 2013 - 11:52 am
Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
To land the slugger, the D-backs parted with 22-year-old left-handed pitching prospect Tyler Skaggs, whom Keith Law of ESPN had rated as his 12th-best minor league prospect as recently as February.
General manager Kevin Towers, the man who completed the deal, joined Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 620, and talked about what the Diamondbacks gave up in Skaggs.
"He's going back to the organization he started with," Towers said. "Last year was a disappointing year -- he was in the running there (for the fifth starter spot) with (Randall) Delgado and (Patrick) Corbin and was beat out by Corbin.
"(Skaggs) went to Reno and the velocity was of some concern to us, it went down from mid-90s to 88 or 89 at the end of the year. He did not have the confidence in his fastball command that he had in the past. You know, it may be a mechanical adjustment, who knows? When we talked to ballclubs about him, I think the knock why people were worried was 'why the big drop in velocity?'"
A glance at Skaggs' numbers from the 2012 season on BrooksBaseball.net, when he made six Major League starts with the Diamondbacks, shows average fastball velocity ranging from 88.8 mph (Sept. 20 vs. SD) on the low end to 91.4 mph (Aug. 22 vs. MIA) on the high end.
Skaggs' 2013 numbers look similar, with fastball velocity ranging from 88.7 mph (July 27 vs. SD) to 90.6 mph (May 27 vs. Texas).
"That's something that I'm sure the Angels are going to look at right now," Towers said. "But we like our pitching. We like Delgado, we like Corbin. We think Archie Bradley would probably be a step ahead of (Skaggs) if a young pitcher was to make our ballclub this year."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.