Updated Dec 10, 2013 - 2:28 pm
Report: D-backs likely out on OF Shin-Soo Choo
But after trading for slugger Mark Trumbo on Tuesday, the D-backs are likely out of the Shin-Soo Choo sweepstakes.
The Diamondbacks had been linked to the free agent, who would be a solid addition at the top of Arizona's lineup. But after trading for Trumbo, many of the D-backs' available resources will likely be dedicated toward acquiring a top-of-the-rotation starting pitcher.
Source: #DBacks likely out on Choo but still discussing. Next move: Front-line starting pitcher.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 10, 2013
Choo, a 31-year-old free agent outfielder, spent 2013 with the Cincinnati Reds and enjoyed a very solid season, batting .285 with 21 home runs and 54 RBI. He scored 107 runs while posting a .423 on-base percentage, which both ranked second in the National League.
He finished 12th in the National League MVP balloting.
If the Diamondbacks were to acquire Choo, it would cost them a pretty penny. Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Choo would command a deal in excess of $100 million, which would make him the highest-paid player in team history.
- Beckett, Puig silence D-backs in series-clinching win for Dodgers: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
- Ethier's HR propels Dodgers over Diamondbacks
- D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.