Updated Dec 10, 2013 - 2:28 pm
Report: D-backs likely out on OF Shin-Soo Choo
But after trading for slugger Mark Trumbo on Tuesday, the D-backs are likely out of the Shin-Soo Choo sweepstakes.
The Diamondbacks had been linked to the free agent, who would be a solid addition at the top of Arizona's lineup. But after trading for Trumbo, many of the D-backs' available resources will likely be dedicated toward acquiring a top-of-the-rotation starting pitcher.
Source: #DBacks likely out on Choo but still discussing. Next move: Front-line starting pitcher.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 10, 2013
Choo, a 31-year-old free agent outfielder, spent 2013 with the Cincinnati Reds and enjoyed a very solid season, batting .285 with 21 home runs and 54 RBI. He scored 107 runs while posting a .423 on-base percentage, which both ranked second in the National League.
He finished 12th in the National League MVP balloting.
If the Diamondbacks were to acquire Choo, it would cost them a pretty penny. Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Choo would command a deal in excess of $100 million, which would make him the highest-paid player in team history.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.