Updated Dec 10, 2013 - 2:28 pm
Report: D-backs likely out on OF Shin-Soo Choo
But after trading for slugger Mark Trumbo on Tuesday, the D-backs are likely out of the Shin-Soo Choo sweepstakes.
The Diamondbacks had been linked to the free agent, who would be a solid addition at the top of Arizona's lineup. But after trading for Trumbo, many of the D-backs' available resources will likely be dedicated toward acquiring a top-of-the-rotation starting pitcher.
Source: #DBacks likely out on Choo but still discussing. Next move: Front-line starting pitcher.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 10, 2013
Choo, a 31-year-old free agent outfielder, spent 2013 with the Cincinnati Reds and enjoyed a very solid season, batting .285 with 21 home runs and 54 RBI. He scored 107 runs while posting a .423 on-base percentage, which both ranked second in the National League.
He finished 12th in the National League MVP balloting.
If the Diamondbacks were to acquire Choo, it would cost them a pretty penny. Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Choo would command a deal in excess of $100 million, which would make him the highest-paid player in team history.
- Rookie makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.