Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
According to FOXSports.com MLB writer Ken Rosenthal, the D-backs and Oakland Athletics were in talks this week to swap A.J. Pollock, Tyler Skaggs and more for outfielder Yoenis Cespedes.
Both teams now say they were not comfortable with particular deal. For one thing, #Athletics only would trade Cespedes for monster return.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 4, 2013
In just his second big league season, Cespedes hit .246 with 26 home runs and 80 RBI with the Athletics. During his rookie season, the 28-year-old Cuban finished 10th in the MVP voting, hitting .292 with 23 home runs, 82 RBI and 16 stolen bases.
While the deal broke down because both teams "were not comfortable," Rosenthal added that the Pollock-Skaggs combination could be used later on to acquire a power bat.
Pollock hit .269 with eight home runs and 38 RBIs in 137 games. Skaggs, who went back and forth between Arizona and Triple-A Reno last season, went 2-3 with a 5.12 ERA in seven starts.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.