Updated Nov 27, 2013 - 5:51 pm
D-backs expected to make Harkey next pitching coach, according to report
From what I am hearing Mike Harkey will be the Diamondbacks new pitching coach and Mel Stottlemyre JR will be the Bullpen coach.— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) November 27, 2013
As Gambo tweeted, Harkey seems set to fill the position originally vacated by Charles Nagy
Harkey was the fourth-overall pick in the 1987 draft and pitched in the Major Leagues for eight years with five different teams. His best season came with the Chicago Cubs in 1990, when he started 27 games with a 3.26 ERA and finished fifth in the National League Rookie of the Year voting.
Harkey has spent six seasons as the Yankees' bullpen coach. Before that, he spent one year as the pitching coach for the Triple-A Iowa Cubs, another year as the Florida Marlins' bullpen coach and six seasons as a pitching coach at various levels with the San Diego Padres organization.
The team has already hired legendary pitching coach Dave Duncan as a special consultant.
In a separate hiring, the team looks to be adding former pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre Jr. as its next bullpen coach, after moving Glenn Sherlock to third base coach.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.