Updated Nov 27, 2013 - 5:51 pm
D-backs expected to make Harkey next pitching coach, according to report
From what I am hearing Mike Harkey will be the Diamondbacks new pitching coach and Mel Stottlemyre JR will be the Bullpen coach.— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) November 27, 2013
As Gambo tweeted, Harkey seems set to fill the position originally vacated by Charles Nagy
Harkey was the fourth-overall pick in the 1987 draft and pitched in the Major Leagues for eight years with five different teams. His best season came with the Chicago Cubs in 1990, when he started 27 games with a 3.26 ERA and finished fifth in the National League Rookie of the Year voting.
Harkey has spent six seasons as the Yankees' bullpen coach. Before that, he spent one year as the pitching coach for the Triple-A Iowa Cubs, another year as the Florida Marlins' bullpen coach and six seasons as a pitching coach at various levels with the San Diego Padres organization.
The team has already hired legendary pitching coach Dave Duncan as a special consultant.
In a separate hiring, the team looks to be adding former pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre Jr. as its next bullpen coach, after moving Glenn Sherlock to third base coach.
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.