Updated Nov 27, 2013 - 5:51 pm
D-backs expected to make Harkey next pitching coach, according to report
From what I am hearing Mike Harkey will be the Diamondbacks new pitching coach and Mel Stottlemyre JR will be the Bullpen coach.— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) November 27, 2013
As Gambo tweeted, Harkey seems set to fill the position originally vacated by Charles Nagy
Harkey was the fourth-overall pick in the 1987 draft and pitched in the Major Leagues for eight years with five different teams. His best season came with the Chicago Cubs in 1990, when he started 27 games with a 3.26 ERA and finished fifth in the National League Rookie of the Year voting.
Harkey has spent six seasons as the Yankees' bullpen coach. Before that, he spent one year as the pitching coach for the Triple-A Iowa Cubs, another year as the Florida Marlins' bullpen coach and six seasons as a pitching coach at various levels with the San Diego Padres organization.
The team has already hired legendary pitching coach Dave Duncan as a special consultant.
In a separate hiring, the team looks to be adding former pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre Jr. as its next bullpen coach, after moving Glenn Sherlock to third base coach.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.