Chicago Cubs' new spring training stadium has name
MESA, Ariz. (AP) - The new spring training stadium for the Chicago Cubs is being called Cubs Park for now.
Unlike their contract for Hohokam Stadium and two previous city sites, the Cubs control naming rights for the new ballpark.
Chicago's general manager for spring-training business operations, Justin Piper, says the park's name could change.
The inaugural game at the ballpark will be Feb. 27 against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Mesa plans a Jan. 25 public grand opening for the stadium and park.
City voters in 2010 approved a $99 million outlay of public money for the stadium complex, a redo of next-door Riverview Park and infrastructure.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.