Report: Arizona Diamondbacks interviewed four pitching coach candidates
So far four candidates interviewed for Dbacks pitching coach -- Brad Arnsberg, Doug Brocail, Mike Harkey and Mel Stottlemyre Jr— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) November 20, 2013
Arnsberg served as the Houston Astros' pitching coach from Oct. 2009 to June 2011, when he was fired and replaced with, coincidentally, Brocail. Arnsberg is currently a major and minor league rehab coordinator with the D-backs organization.
After taking over as the Astros' pitching coach from Arnsberg, Brocail remained in that role through the 2013 season, at which point the club moved him to special assistant position. Brocail spent 15 years in the majors, most of them as a relief pitcher, and had a career 4.00 ERA.
Harkey had previously been reported as a candidate by Gambo, and he has spent the last six seasons as the New York Yankees' bullpen coach.
Now an organizational pitching coordinator for the D-backs, Stottlemyre Jr. previously served as Arizona's pitching coach in 2009 and 2010. The D-backs had a 4.42 ERA in 2009, and in 2010 the team was second-to-last in the National League with a 4.81 ERA.
Earlier this month, the D-backs hired legendary pitching coach Dave Duncan to serve as a special adviser for whoever the club ends up hiring. The position became available when the D-backs fired Charles Nagy shortly after the season ended.
- Beckett, Puig silence D-backs in series-clinching win for Dodgers: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
- Ethier's HR propels Dodgers over Diamondbacks
- D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.