Report: Arizona Diamondbacks interviewed four pitching coach candidates
So far four candidates interviewed for Dbacks pitching coach -- Brad Arnsberg, Doug Brocail, Mike Harkey and Mel Stottlemyre Jr— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) November 20, 2013
Arnsberg served as the Houston Astros' pitching coach from Oct. 2009 to June 2011, when he was fired and replaced with, coincidentally, Brocail. Arnsberg is currently a major and minor league rehab coordinator with the D-backs organization.
After taking over as the Astros' pitching coach from Arnsberg, Brocail remained in that role through the 2013 season, at which point the club moved him to special assistant position. Brocail spent 15 years in the majors, most of them as a relief pitcher, and had a career 4.00 ERA.
Harkey had previously been reported as a candidate by Gambo, and he has spent the last six seasons as the New York Yankees' bullpen coach.
Now an organizational pitching coordinator for the D-backs, Stottlemyre Jr. previously served as Arizona's pitching coach in 2009 and 2010. The D-backs had a 4.42 ERA in 2009, and in 2010 the team was second-to-last in the National League with a 4.81 ERA.
Earlier this month, the D-backs hired legendary pitching coach Dave Duncan to serve as a special adviser for whoever the club ends up hiring. The position became available when the D-backs fired Charles Nagy shortly after the season ended.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?