Report: Arizona Diamondbacks interviewed four pitching coach candidates
So far four candidates interviewed for Dbacks pitching coach -- Brad Arnsberg, Doug Brocail, Mike Harkey and Mel Stottlemyre Jr— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) November 20, 2013
Arnsberg served as the Houston Astros' pitching coach from Oct. 2009 to June 2011, when he was fired and replaced with, coincidentally, Brocail. Arnsberg is currently a major and minor league rehab coordinator with the D-backs organization.
After taking over as the Astros' pitching coach from Arnsberg, Brocail remained in that role through the 2013 season, at which point the club moved him to special assistant position. Brocail spent 15 years in the majors, most of them as a relief pitcher, and had a career 4.00 ERA.
Harkey had previously been reported as a candidate by Gambo, and he has spent the last six seasons as the New York Yankees' bullpen coach.
Now an organizational pitching coordinator for the D-backs, Stottlemyre Jr. previously served as Arizona's pitching coach in 2009 and 2010. The D-backs had a 4.42 ERA in 2009, and in 2010 the team was second-to-last in the National League with a 4.81 ERA.
Earlier this month, the D-backs hired legendary pitching coach Dave Duncan to serve as a special adviser for whoever the club ends up hiring. The position became available when the D-backs fired Charles Nagy shortly after the season ended.
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.