Report: D-backs have interest in re-acquiring Max Scherzer
Scherzer broke into the Big Leagues with the D-backs in 2008 and became a full-fledged member of the their rotation in 2009 when he went 9-11 with a 4.10 ERA in 30 starts.
Following the season, Scherzer was shipped off to Detroit in a three-way deal that brought right-handers Ian Kennedy and Edwin Jackson to the desert.
Four years later, Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting the Diamondbacks have interest in bringing Scherzer, the front-runner to win the American League Cy Young Award, back to Arizona.
Count the Diamondbacks among the clubs that plan to take a shot at Scherzer, according to major league sources. The D-backs — like another interested club, the Nationals — know that they could part with less for Scherzer, who is only one year away from free agency, than for Rays lefty David Price, who is under club control for two more years.
Scherzer, 29, went 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA for the AL Central champion Tigers in 2013. In his four-year stint in Detroit, he's posted a 64-30 record with a 3.62 ERA.
Rosenthal notes that any team that deals for Scherzer could extend him a qualifying offer, which would at least assure the club compensation should the pitcher sign elsewhere in free agency following the 2014 season.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?