Report: D-backs have interest in re-acquiring Max Scherzer
Scherzer broke into the Big Leagues with the D-backs in 2008 and became a full-fledged member of the their rotation in 2009 when he went 9-11 with a 4.10 ERA in 30 starts.
Following the season, Scherzer was shipped off to Detroit in a three-way deal that brought right-handers Ian Kennedy and Edwin Jackson to the desert.
Four years later, Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting the Diamondbacks have interest in bringing Scherzer, the front-runner to win the American League Cy Young Award, back to Arizona.
Count the Diamondbacks among the clubs that plan to take a shot at Scherzer, according to major league sources. The D-backs — like another interested club, the Nationals — know that they could part with less for Scherzer, who is only one year away from free agency, than for Rays lefty David Price, who is under club control for two more years.
Scherzer, 29, went 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA for the AL Central champion Tigers in 2013. In his four-year stint in Detroit, he's posted a 64-30 record with a 3.62 ERA.
Rosenthal notes that any team that deals for Scherzer could extend him a qualifying offer, which would at least assure the club compensation should the pitcher sign elsewhere in free agency following the 2014 season.
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.