Report: D-backs have interest in re-acquiring Max Scherzer
Scherzer broke into the Big Leagues with the D-backs in 2008 and became a full-fledged member of the their rotation in 2009 when he went 9-11 with a 4.10 ERA in 30 starts.
Following the season, Scherzer was shipped off to Detroit in a three-way deal that brought right-handers Ian Kennedy and Edwin Jackson to the desert.
Four years later, Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting the Diamondbacks have interest in bringing Scherzer, the front-runner to win the American League Cy Young Award, back to Arizona.
Count the Diamondbacks among the clubs that plan to take a shot at Scherzer, according to major league sources. The D-backs — like another interested club, the Nationals — know that they could part with less for Scherzer, who is only one year away from free agency, than for Rays lefty David Price, who is under club control for two more years.
Scherzer, 29, went 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA for the AL Central champion Tigers in 2013. In his four-year stint in Detroit, he's posted a 64-30 record with a 3.62 ERA.
Rosenthal notes that any team that deals for Scherzer could extend him a qualifying offer, which would at least assure the club compensation should the pitcher sign elsewhere in free agency following the 2014 season.
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.