Report: D-backs have interest in re-acquiring Max Scherzer
Scherzer broke into the Big Leagues with the D-backs in 2008 and became a full-fledged member of the their rotation in 2009 when he went 9-11 with a 4.10 ERA in 30 starts.
Following the season, Scherzer was shipped off to Detroit in a three-way deal that brought right-handers Ian Kennedy and Edwin Jackson to the desert.
Four years later, Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting the Diamondbacks have interest in bringing Scherzer, the front-runner to win the American League Cy Young Award, back to Arizona.
Count the Diamondbacks among the clubs that plan to take a shot at Scherzer, according to major league sources. The D-backs — like another interested club, the Nationals — know that they could part with less for Scherzer, who is only one year away from free agency, than for Rays lefty David Price, who is under club control for two more years.
Scherzer, 29, went 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA for the AL Central champion Tigers in 2013. In his four-year stint in Detroit, he's posted a 64-30 record with a 3.62 ERA.
Rosenthal notes that any team that deals for Scherzer could extend him a qualifying offer, which would at least assure the club compensation should the pitcher sign elsewhere in free agency following the 2014 season.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.