Updated Nov 12, 2013 - 4:30 pm
D-backs hire Dave Duncan as consultant/special assistant
The Diamondbacks have hired pitching guru Dave Duncan as a pitching consultant/special assitant to the GM— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) November 12, 2013
The team had reportedly tried to lure Duncan out of retirement to be their pitching coach, but instead he'll advise the replacement for Charles Nagy, who was relieved of his duties at the conclusion of the 2013 season.
Duncan, 68, began his Major League coaching career in 1978 with the Cleveland Indians and was one of baseball's top pitching coaches during his stints with the Chicago White Sox (1983-1986), Oakland A's (1986-1995) and St. Louis Cardinals (1996-2011).
Four pitchers (LaMarr Hoyt in 1983, Bob Welch in 1990, Dennis Eckersley in 1992 and Chris Carpenter in 2005) won Cy Young Awards under Duncan's tutelage.
Duncan took a leave of absence from the Cardinals in early 2012 to spend time with his ailing wife, Jeanine, who passed away in June.
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.