D-backs take home more defensive awards
The Diamondbacks announced Thursday that Gerardo Parra has been named the National League Wilson Defensive Player of the Year while the team was named Wilson's NL Defensive Team of the Year.
Parra led all Major League outfielders with 17 assists while the Diamondbacks made a National League-low 75 errors and had a league-best .988 fielding percentage. Parra and Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt won a Rawlings Gold Glove Award.
The award, which was created in 2012, combines scouting information, sabermetric analysis and basic fielding statistics, according to a press release. Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia won the AL Defensive Player of the Year while the Kansas City Royals and Baltimore Orioles tied for the team award.
The 2012 individual winners were Michael Bourn and Mike Trout and the Atlanta Braves were the Defensive Team of the Year.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.