Updated Nov 4, 2013 - 4:47 pm
Phil Nevin named manager of D-backs' Triple-A affiliate
Nevin was the manager of the Toledo Mud Hens, the Detroit Tigers Triple-A team, for the past three seasons. The former first-round pick played 12 seasons in the majors, most of them with the San Diego Padres.
The Houston Astros made Nevin the first overall pick of the 1992 MLB First-Year Player Draft after he was named the Golden Spikes Award as the nation's top amateur player. He broke into the Majors in 1995 with the Astros, before being traded to Detroit that season.
Nevin finished his playing career in 2006 with 208 home runs, 743 RBI and a .270 batting average.
In his three years with the Mud Hens, the team was 188-244. Nevin managed the Tigers' Double-A affiliate in 2010, and the Erie SeaWolves finished with a 66-76 record. The only other managerial experience Nevin has came in 2009 in the Golden Baseball League heading up the Orange County Flyers, which finished 37-39.
Brett Butler had been the manager of the Aces since 2009, and spent nine seasons in total with the D-backs. He was hired by the Miami Marlins in October as their third-base coach. Nevin will be the second manager in the club's history.
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.