Updated Nov 4, 2013 - 4:47 pm
Phil Nevin named manager of D-backs' Triple-A affiliate
Nevin was the manager of the Toledo Mud Hens, the Detroit Tigers Triple-A team, for the past three seasons. The former first-round pick played 12 seasons in the majors, most of them with the San Diego Padres.
The Houston Astros made Nevin the first overall pick of the 1992 MLB First-Year Player Draft after he was named the Golden Spikes Award as the nation's top amateur player. He broke into the Majors in 1995 with the Astros, before being traded to Detroit that season.
Nevin finished his playing career in 2006 with 208 home runs, 743 RBI and a .270 batting average.
In his three years with the Mud Hens, the team was 188-244. Nevin managed the Tigers' Double-A affiliate in 2010, and the Erie SeaWolves finished with a 66-76 record. The only other managerial experience Nevin has came in 2009 in the Golden Baseball League heading up the Orange County Flyers, which finished 37-39.
Brett Butler had been the manager of the Aces since 2009, and spent nine seasons in total with the D-backs. He was hired by the Miami Marlins in October as their third-base coach. Nevin will be the second manager in the club's history.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?