Updated Nov 4, 2013 - 4:47 pm
Phil Nevin named manager of D-backs' Triple-A affiliate
Nevin was the manager of the Toledo Mud Hens, the Detroit Tigers Triple-A team, for the past three seasons. The former first-round pick played 12 seasons in the majors, most of them with the San Diego Padres.
The Houston Astros made Nevin the first overall pick of the 1992 MLB First-Year Player Draft after he was named the Golden Spikes Award as the nation's top amateur player. He broke into the Majors in 1995 with the Astros, before being traded to Detroit that season.
Nevin finished his playing career in 2006 with 208 home runs, 743 RBI and a .270 batting average.
In his three years with the Mud Hens, the team was 188-244. Nevin managed the Tigers' Double-A affiliate in 2010, and the Erie SeaWolves finished with a 66-76 record. The only other managerial experience Nevin has came in 2009 in the Golden Baseball League heading up the Orange County Flyers, which finished 37-39.
Brett Butler had been the manager of the Aces since 2009, and spent nine seasons in total with the D-backs. He was hired by the Miami Marlins in October as their third-base coach. Nevin will be the second manager in the club's history.
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.