Updated Nov 4, 2013 - 4:47 pm
Phil Nevin named manager of D-backs' Triple-A affiliate
Nevin was the manager of the Toledo Mud Hens, the Detroit Tigers Triple-A team, for the past three seasons. The former first-round pick played 12 seasons in the majors, most of them with the San Diego Padres.
The Houston Astros made Nevin the first overall pick of the 1992 MLB First-Year Player Draft after he was named the Golden Spikes Award as the nation's top amateur player. He broke into the Majors in 1995 with the Astros, before being traded to Detroit that season.
Nevin finished his playing career in 2006 with 208 home runs, 743 RBI and a .270 batting average.
In his three years with the Mud Hens, the team was 188-244. Nevin managed the Tigers' Double-A affiliate in 2010, and the Erie SeaWolves finished with a 66-76 record. The only other managerial experience Nevin has came in 2009 in the Golden Baseball League heading up the Orange County Flyers, which finished 37-39.
Brett Butler had been the manager of the Aces since 2009, and spent nine seasons in total with the D-backs. He was hired by the Miami Marlins in October as their third-base coach. Nevin will be the second manager in the club's history.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.