Updated Nov 4, 2013 - 4:47 pm
Phil Nevin named manager of D-backs' Triple-A affiliate
Nevin was the manager of the Toledo Mud Hens, the Detroit Tigers Triple-A team, for the past three seasons. The former first-round pick played 12 seasons in the majors, most of them with the San Diego Padres.
The Houston Astros made Nevin the first overall pick of the 1992 MLB First-Year Player Draft after he was named the Golden Spikes Award as the nation's top amateur player. He broke into the Majors in 1995 with the Astros, before being traded to Detroit that season.
Nevin finished his playing career in 2006 with 208 home runs, 743 RBI and a .270 batting average.
In his three years with the Mud Hens, the team was 188-244. Nevin managed the Tigers' Double-A affiliate in 2010, and the Erie SeaWolves finished with a 66-76 record. The only other managerial experience Nevin has came in 2009 in the Golden Baseball League heading up the Orange County Flyers, which finished 37-39.
Brett Butler had been the manager of the Aces since 2009, and spent nine seasons in total with the D-backs. He was hired by the Miami Marlins in October as their third-base coach. Nevin will be the second manager in the club's history.
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.