Report: Diamondbacks reached out to Dave Duncan regarding pitching coach vacancy
However, one glaring hole in the staff remains: the pitching coach.
Last week, USA Today MLB writer Bob Nightengale suggested that long-time pitching coach Dave Duncan would be a 'perfect fit' in Arizona.
Apparently the D-backs agree.
According to Derrick Gould of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the organization has reached out to Duncan in regards to its opening.
There is one potential hurdle for Arizona.
Gould noted that Duncan left his post with the Cardinals in 2011 to help his wife, Jeanine, as she battled brain cancer. The 68-year-old didn't return to coaching in 2012, and instead opted to stay beside his wife's side until her passing in June 2013.
While Duncan made one All-Star Game appearance and won one World Series in parts of the 11 seasons with the Oakland Athletics, Cleveland Indians and Baltimore Orioles, the former big-league catcher has made his name as a coach.
Since 1979, Duncan has served as the pitching coach for five different organizations -- Cleveland Indians, Seattle Mariners, Chicago White Sox, Oakland Athletics and St. Louis Cardinals. In that capacity, he has mentored four Cy Young pitchers (LaMarr Hoyt, Bob Welch, Dennis Eckersley and Chris Carpenter) and been a part of three championship teams (A's in 1989 and Cardinals in 2006 and 2011).
Although luring Duncan out of retirement might be a tough task, he does have ties to the Valley.
Duncan's son, former MLB first baseman/left fielder Shelley Duncan and grandchildren live in the Phoenix area.
The D-backs' vacancy has been open since Oct. 8, when the team and Charles Nagy decided to part ways after three seasons.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.