Report: Diamondbacks reached out to Dave Duncan regarding pitching coach vacancy
However, one glaring hole in the staff remains: the pitching coach.
Last week, USA Today MLB writer Bob Nightengale suggested that long-time pitching coach Dave Duncan would be a 'perfect fit' in Arizona.
Apparently the D-backs agree.
According to Derrick Gould of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the organization has reached out to Duncan in regards to its opening.
There is one potential hurdle for Arizona.
Gould noted that Duncan left his post with the Cardinals in 2011 to help his wife, Jeanine, as she battled brain cancer. The 68-year-old didn't return to coaching in 2012, and instead opted to stay beside his wife's side until her passing in June 2013.
While Duncan made one All-Star Game appearance and won one World Series in parts of the 11 seasons with the Oakland Athletics, Cleveland Indians and Baltimore Orioles, the former big-league catcher has made his name as a coach.
Since 1979, Duncan has served as the pitching coach for five different organizations -- Cleveland Indians, Seattle Mariners, Chicago White Sox, Oakland Athletics and St. Louis Cardinals. In that capacity, he has mentored four Cy Young pitchers (LaMarr Hoyt, Bob Welch, Dennis Eckersley and Chris Carpenter) and been a part of three championship teams (A's in 1989 and Cardinals in 2006 and 2011).
Although luring Duncan out of retirement might be a tough task, he does have ties to the Valley.
Duncan's son, former MLB first baseman/left fielder Shelley Duncan and grandchildren live in the Phoenix area.
The D-backs' vacancy has been open since Oct. 8, when the team and Charles Nagy decided to part ways after three seasons.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.