Arizona Diamondbacks claim Matt Tuiasosopo from Detroit Tigers; lose RHP Chaz Roe to waivers
Last season with the Tigers, Tuiasosopo made most of his 81 appearances in left field, while also finding time at first base and third base. The right-handed hitter batted .244/ .351/ .415 in 2013, tallying seven home runs and 30 RBI in 191 plate appearances in 191 plate appearances.
Prior to 2013, the 27-year-old spent two seasons in Triple-A -- one with the New York Mets' organization and one with the Seattle Mariners, who Tuiasosopo previously saw major league time with in all of 2008, 2009 and 2010.
A career .207 hitter, the 6-foot-2, 225-pound Tuaisosopo has struggled mightily against left-handed pitching throughout his career, hitting .196/ .293/ .345 against southpaws over 222 such plate appearances.
In a separate transaction, the Diamondbacks also announced that the Texas Rangers had claimed right-handed relief pitcher Chaz Roe off waivers.
Roe made his major league debut with the Diamondbacks last season, appearing in 21 games in three stints with the big league club. The 27-year-old struck out 24 opposing batters in 22.1 innings pitched with the Diamondbacks, managing a 4.03 ERA over the course of the season while going 1-0 and blowing both of his save opportunities.
- Report: Daniel Hudson signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamodnbacks
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.