Arizona Diamondbacks claim Matt Tuiasosopo from Detroit Tigers; lose RHP Chaz Roe to waivers
Last season with the Tigers, Tuiasosopo made most of his 81 appearances in left field, while also finding time at first base and third base. The right-handed hitter batted .244/ .351/ .415 in 2013, tallying seven home runs and 30 RBI in 191 plate appearances in 191 plate appearances.
Prior to 2013, the 27-year-old spent two seasons in Triple-A -- one with the New York Mets' organization and one with the Seattle Mariners, who Tuiasosopo previously saw major league time with in all of 2008, 2009 and 2010.
A career .207 hitter, the 6-foot-2, 225-pound Tuaisosopo has struggled mightily against left-handed pitching throughout his career, hitting .196/ .293/ .345 against southpaws over 222 such plate appearances.
In a separate transaction, the Diamondbacks also announced that the Texas Rangers had claimed right-handed relief pitcher Chaz Roe off waivers.
Roe made his major league debut with the Diamondbacks last season, appearing in 21 games in three stints with the big league club. The 27-year-old struck out 24 opposing batters in 22.1 innings pitched with the Diamondbacks, managing a 4.03 ERA over the course of the season while going 1-0 and blowing both of his save opportunities.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.