Updated Oct 29, 2013 - 5:35 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' Gerardo Parra and Paul Goldschmidt win Gold Glove Awards
It was announced Tuesday that Gerardo Parra and Paul Goldschmidt each won National League Gold Glove Rawlings Gold Glove Awards. It's Goldschmidt's first and Parra's second.
"It's a great award for Paul Goldschmidt and Gerardo Parra," said D-backs manager Kirk Gibson. "They both work very hard and they've come a long way. That was one of their goals, to be able to do that and it's good to see that they are honored with Gold Glove awards."
The award is given annually to the player voted as the best defender at his respective position.
Parra, a 26-year-old right fielder, beat out Cincinnati Reds outfielder Jay Bruce and the Atlanta Braves' Jayson Heyward for the award.
Parra previously won the award in 2011 when he played left field for the D-backs. This season, he had an NL-best 17 outfield assists and led all outfielders with 41 defensive runs saved. He also posted an ultimate zone rating of 31.1, which is the second-highest since Alfonso Soriano's 33.2 in 2007.
For Goldschmidt, who was touted as a power hitter with shaky defense, the award is just another step on his path toward being one of baseball's best players. The 26-year-old led NL first basemen with 1,494 putouts, and his .997 fielding percentage was second behind Colorado's Todd Helton.
Goldschmidt is the fourth D-back to win a Gold Glove Award, joining Steve Finley, Orlando Hudson and Parra.
Arizona pitcher Patrick Corbin was one of three finalists for his position, but lost out to St. Louis' Adam Wainright.
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.