Updated Oct 29, 2013 - 5:35 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' Gerardo Parra and Paul Goldschmidt win Gold Glove Awards
It was announced Tuesday that Gerardo Parra and Paul Goldschmidt each won National League Gold Glove Rawlings Gold Glove Awards. It's Goldschmidt's first and Parra's second.
"It's a great award for Paul Goldschmidt and Gerardo Parra," said D-backs manager Kirk Gibson. "They both work very hard and they've come a long way. That was one of their goals, to be able to do that and it's good to see that they are honored with Gold Glove awards."
The award is given annually to the player voted as the best defender at his respective position.
Parra, a 26-year-old right fielder, beat out Cincinnati Reds outfielder Jay Bruce and the Atlanta Braves' Jayson Heyward for the award.
Parra previously won the award in 2011 when he played left field for the D-backs. This season, he had an NL-best 17 outfield assists and led all outfielders with 41 defensive runs saved. He also posted an ultimate zone rating of 31.1, which is the second-highest since Alfonso Soriano's 33.2 in 2007.
For Goldschmidt, who was touted as a power hitter with shaky defense, the award is just another step on his path toward being one of baseball's best players. The 26-year-old led NL first basemen with 1,494 putouts, and his .997 fielding percentage was second behind Colorado's Todd Helton.
Goldschmidt is the fourth D-back to win a Gold Glove Award, joining Steve Finley, Orlando Hudson and Parra.
Arizona pitcher Patrick Corbin was one of three finalists for his position, but lost out to St. Louis' Adam Wainright.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.