D-backs' Goldschmidt wins 2013 Hank Aaron Award
Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers won the award in the American League.
Winners were determined by a fan vote and panel of Hall of Fame players, which included Hank Aaron and Tony Gwynn, among others.
Goldschmidt was selected to his first career All-Star Game in 2013 on his way to a season in which he hit .302 with 36 doubles, 36 home runs, 125 RBIs, 99 walks and 103 runs scored. The 26-year-old led the National League in slugging percentage (.551), extra-base hits (75), RBI and total bases (332), and tied for first in homers. He also ranked third in walks, tied for third in runs scored, fourth with a .401 on-base percentage and tied for 10th in doubles.
Among all Major Leaguers, the right-handed slugger tied for first in go-ahead RBI (37), go-ahead home runs (20), walk-off homers (3), and home runs after the eighth inning (7), while tying for most game-winning RBI (19) and RBI with runners in scoring position (84).
This is the third straight season that a member of an NL West team has won the Hank Aaron award, after the Giants' Buster Posey in 2012 and Dodgers' Matt Kemp and 2011.
Goldschmidt is also a finalist for a Rawlings Gold Glove Award. Winners will be announced Tuesday at 4 p.m. on ESPN2.
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.