Blanco, McKay possibilities for Arizona Diamondbacks coaching staff?
The hiring of Williams, along with the firings of pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax and the departure of hitting coach Don Baylor to the Los Angeles Angels, leaves the D-backs and manager Kirk Gibson with four vacancies on the coaching staff.
Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro took to Twitter to share what may happen with a couple of the open spots.
If well respected Henry Blanco decides to retire - he is playing winter ball in Venezuela -- he very well could be one of Dbacks new coaches— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) October 25, 2013
Dave McKay, longtime first base coach with Cardinals, who spent last season with Cubs is available and makes a ton of sense for Diamondbacks— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) October 25, 2013
Blanco spent two seasons with the Diamondbacks as catcher Miguel Montero's backup in 2011 and 2012, batting .226 with nine home runs and 19 RBI in that span. While his statistics weren't eye-popping, he lended a veteran presence in the clubhouse and was very popular with teammates.
As Gambadoro pointed out, the 42-year-old Blanco is still an active player, having spent the 2013 campaign with the Toronto Blue Jays and Seattle Mariners.
Following an eight-year big-league playing career McKay became a Major League coach in 1988, spending eight years with the Oakland A's, 16 seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals and the last two as the first base coach of the Chicago Cubs.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.