Blanco, McKay possibilities for Arizona Diamondbacks coaching staff?
The hiring of Williams, along with the firings of pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax and the departure of hitting coach Don Baylor to the Los Angeles Angels, leaves the D-backs and manager Kirk Gibson with four vacancies on the coaching staff.
Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro took to Twitter to share what may happen with a couple of the open spots.
If well respected Henry Blanco decides to retire - he is playing winter ball in Venezuela -- he very well could be one of Dbacks new coaches— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) October 25, 2013
Dave McKay, longtime first base coach with Cardinals, who spent last season with Cubs is available and makes a ton of sense for Diamondbacks— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) October 25, 2013
Blanco spent two seasons with the Diamondbacks as catcher Miguel Montero's backup in 2011 and 2012, batting .226 with nine home runs and 19 RBI in that span. While his statistics weren't eye-popping, he lended a veteran presence in the clubhouse and was very popular with teammates.
As Gambadoro pointed out, the 42-year-old Blanco is still an active player, having spent the 2013 campaign with the Toronto Blue Jays and Seattle Mariners.
Following an eight-year big-league playing career McKay became a Major League coach in 1988, spending eight years with the Oakland A's, 16 seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals and the last two as the first base coach of the Chicago Cubs.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.