Updated Oct 25, 2013 - 10:05 am
Matt Williams to be named Nationals manager
Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi has confirmed Arizona Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams will be hired as the new manager of the Washington Nationals.
This story was first reported by Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, and sources said the official announcement will take place after the World Series.
This will be the first big-league managing job for the former Diamondback player and coach.
Williams, 47, became a coach for the Diamondbacks in 2010 after several years as a team broadcaster. His name has been linked to the Washington managerial position for months. Davey Johnson retired as Nationals manager following the 2013 season and will transition into a consultant for the team.
Randy Knorr, who served as bench coach under Johnson and openly expressed interest in the managerial job, will reportedly remain as Williams' bench coach.
Williams becomes the fourth member of Gibson's 2013 staff to leave the organization. Pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax were relieved of their duties earlier this month, and hitting coach Don Baylor assumed the same duties with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.