Updated Oct 25, 2013 - 10:05 am
Matt Williams to be named Nationals manager
Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi has confirmed Arizona Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams will be hired as the new manager of the Washington Nationals.
This story was first reported by Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, and sources said the official announcement will take place after the World Series.
This will be the first big-league managing job for the former Diamondback player and coach.
Williams, 47, became a coach for the Diamondbacks in 2010 after several years as a team broadcaster. His name has been linked to the Washington managerial position for months. Davey Johnson retired as Nationals manager following the 2013 season and will transition into a consultant for the team.
Randy Knorr, who served as bench coach under Johnson and openly expressed interest in the managerial job, will reportedly remain as Williams' bench coach.
Williams becomes the fourth member of Gibson's 2013 staff to leave the organization. Pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax were relieved of their duties earlier this month, and hitting coach Don Baylor assumed the same duties with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.