Updated Oct 22, 2013 - 9:53 pm
Will the Arizona Diamondbacks attempt to woo Shin-Soo Choo?
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro thinks they might.
Free Agent and leadoff specialist Shin-Soo Choo could be a target of Diamondbacks. Hit .285 with on base% of .423.— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) October 22, 2013
Choo, a 31-year-old right fielder, would be an interesting addition for the D-backs, for a variety of reasons.
First, they would be adding one of baseball's better leadoff hitters. Choo is a career .288 hitter with a .389 on-base percentage, who has topped the 15-home run mark and stolen more than 20 bases in four of the last five years.
The D-backs were hoping Adam Eaton would develop into their leadoff hitter of the present and future last season, but injuries limited him to just 66 games, where he hit .252 with an OBP of .314 with just five stolen bases.
But it is Eaton -- along with Gerardo Parra, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross and Martin Prado -- that would make the acquisition of Choo a dicey one. After all, there are only three outfield spots, and while Ross is currently injured and Prado can play in the infield, there are not exactly any openings for Choo to step right into and fill.
Should the D-backs elect to spend the money required to sign Choo, who earned $7.375 million in his lone season with the Cincinnati Reds this year and is primed for a substantial raise, they'll be doing so at the expense of at least one of their current players.
Of course, with the World Series having not yet begun, any talk of free agents and possible destinations is a bit premature. And at any rate, the D-backs would certainly not be alone in their pursuit of the right fielder, meaning their attempt to woo Choo could be a long and drawn out process.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.