Updated Oct 22, 2013 - 9:53 pm
Will the Arizona Diamondbacks attempt to woo Shin-Soo Choo?
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro thinks they might.
Free Agent and leadoff specialist Shin-Soo Choo could be a target of Diamondbacks. Hit .285 with on base% of .423.— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) October 22, 2013
Choo, a 31-year-old right fielder, would be an interesting addition for the D-backs, for a variety of reasons.
First, they would be adding one of baseball's better leadoff hitters. Choo is a career .288 hitter with a .389 on-base percentage, who has topped the 15-home run mark and stolen more than 20 bases in four of the last five years.
The D-backs were hoping Adam Eaton would develop into their leadoff hitter of the present and future last season, but injuries limited him to just 66 games, where he hit .252 with an OBP of .314 with just five stolen bases.
But it is Eaton -- along with Gerardo Parra, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross and Martin Prado -- that would make the acquisition of Choo a dicey one. After all, there are only three outfield spots, and while Ross is currently injured and Prado can play in the infield, there are not exactly any openings for Choo to step right into and fill.
Should the D-backs elect to spend the money required to sign Choo, who earned $7.375 million in his lone season with the Cincinnati Reds this year and is primed for a substantial raise, they'll be doing so at the expense of at least one of their current players.
Of course, with the World Series having not yet begun, any talk of free agents and possible destinations is a bit premature. And at any rate, the D-backs would certainly not be alone in their pursuit of the right fielder, meaning their attempt to woo Choo could be a long and drawn out process.
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.