AP source: Reds choose Price for next manager
CINCINNATI (AP) - The Reds have chosen pitching coach Bryan Price to replace Dusty Baker as their next manager, according to a person familiar with the decision.
The club plans to introduce the 51-year-old Price at a news conference later Tuesday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.
The Cincinnati Enquirer first reported the decision.
Price has never managed at any level. He's been the Reds' pitching coach for the last four seasons, helping them develop one of the best staffs in the majors. Previously, he was the pitching coach for the Mariners and Diamondbacks.
Baker was fired despite getting the Reds to the playoffs three times in the last four years. Cincinnati failed to win a playoff series, prompting the switch.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.