Evaluator: 'Shocked' if Matt Williams doesn't get Washington Nationals' managerial job
The team parted ways with pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax on Oct. 7. Hitting coach Don Baylor left the organization to pursue the same job with the Los Angeles Angels on Oct. 16.
Kirk Gibson was rumored to be a candidate for the Detroit Tigers' managerial opening Monday.
And then there's third base coach Matt Williams.
Williams interviewed with the Washington Nationals last week regarding their managerial vacancy left after Davey Johnson's retirement, and according to ESPN.com's MLB insider Buster Olney, the 47-year-old must have made quite an impression.
Just one opinion: An evaluator with knowledge of the Nationals' managerial search says he'd be shocked if Matt Williams doesn't get the job.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) October 18, 2013
Williams, who won a World Series with the D-backs in 2001, was hired by the organization back in Nov. 2009. In 2010, he served as the team's first base coach before moving over to the third base side in 2011 -- a post he's held for the past three seasons.
The five-time All-Star's fit in Washington seems to make a lot of sense, considering the team's general manager, Mike Rizzo, served as the D-backs' Director of Scouting from 2000-06.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.