Evaluator: 'Shocked' if Matt Williams doesn't get Washington Nationals' managerial job
The team parted ways with pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax on Oct. 7. Hitting coach Don Baylor left the organization to pursue the same job with the Los Angeles Angels on Oct. 16.
Kirk Gibson was rumored to be a candidate for the Detroit Tigers' managerial opening Monday.
And then there's third base coach Matt Williams.
Williams interviewed with the Washington Nationals last week regarding their managerial vacancy left after Davey Johnson's retirement, and according to ESPN.com's MLB insider Buster Olney, the 47-year-old must have made quite an impression.
Just one opinion: An evaluator with knowledge of the Nationals' managerial search says he'd be shocked if Matt Williams doesn't get the job.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) October 18, 2013
Williams, who won a World Series with the D-backs in 2001, was hired by the organization back in Nov. 2009. In 2010, he served as the team's first base coach before moving over to the third base side in 2011 -- a post he's held for the past three seasons.
The five-time All-Star's fit in Washington seems to make a lot of sense, considering the team's general manager, Mike Rizzo, served as the D-backs' Director of Scouting from 2000-06.
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.