ESPN Insider: Acquiring David Price makes sense for Arizona Diamondbacks
Price is eligible for arbitration this offseason, and is expected to get a big bump from the $10.1 million he made in 2012, so his salary falls into that category for the Rays.
There is some speculation that the Arizona Diamondbacks would have interest in acquiring the 28-year-old former Cy Young Award winner, but everyone is wondering what the D-backs would have to give up.
In an ESPN Insider piece, Dan Szymborski pinpoints four teams that make sense for Price's services, and just what those teams would have to part with.
And, you guessed it, the D-backs are on the list. Szymborski proposes a deal that would send shortstop Chris Owings, third baseman Matt Davidson and catcher Stryker Trahan to Tampa Bay.
Bringing in Price is the quickest way to match whatever the Dodgers are planning (and obviously would also keep the Dodgers from getting Price themselves) without spending $200 million. The problem that the Diamondbacks face is that they aren't an ideal trade match for the Rays. Their best trade chip, RHP Archie Bradley, is almost certainly off limits, while Davidson doesn't fill a position of need for Tampa Bay because of Evan Longoria.
The proposal is intriguing because it doesn't include Bradley, who was named as the National League's top pitching prospect in May by ESPN's Keith Law.
And yes, this proposed deal would include three of the D-backs' top ten prospects, but all three seemingly have their immediate big league futures blocked by established players Didi Gregorius, Martin Prado and Miguel Montero.
Unfortunately for Arizona fans, Szymborski also has the Dodgers on the list of sensible suitors for Price.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.