ESPN Insider: Acquiring David Price makes sense for Arizona Diamondbacks
Price is eligible for arbitration this offseason, and is expected to get a big bump from the $10.1 million he made in 2012, so his salary falls into that category for the Rays.
There is some speculation that the Arizona Diamondbacks would have interest in acquiring the 28-year-old former Cy Young Award winner, but everyone is wondering what the D-backs would have to give up.
In an ESPN Insider piece, Dan Szymborski pinpoints four teams that make sense for Price's services, and just what those teams would have to part with.
And, you guessed it, the D-backs are on the list. Szymborski proposes a deal that would send shortstop Chris Owings, third baseman Matt Davidson and catcher Stryker Trahan to Tampa Bay.
Bringing in Price is the quickest way to match whatever the Dodgers are planning (and obviously would also keep the Dodgers from getting Price themselves) without spending $200 million. The problem that the Diamondbacks face is that they aren't an ideal trade match for the Rays. Their best trade chip, RHP Archie Bradley, is almost certainly off limits, while Davidson doesn't fill a position of need for Tampa Bay because of Evan Longoria.
The proposal is intriguing because it doesn't include Bradley, who was named as the National League's top pitching prospect in May by ESPN's Keith Law.
And yes, this proposed deal would include three of the D-backs' top ten prospects, but all three seemingly have their immediate big league futures blocked by established players Didi Gregorius, Martin Prado and Miguel Montero.
Unfortunately for Arizona fans, Szymborski also has the Dodgers on the list of sensible suitors for Price.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.