ESPN Insider: Acquiring David Price makes sense for Arizona Diamondbacks
Price is eligible for arbitration this offseason, and is expected to get a big bump from the $10.1 million he made in 2012, so his salary falls into that category for the Rays.
There is some speculation that the Arizona Diamondbacks would have interest in acquiring the 28-year-old former Cy Young Award winner, but everyone is wondering what the D-backs would have to give up.
In an ESPN Insider piece, Dan Szymborski pinpoints four teams that make sense for Price's services, and just what those teams would have to part with.
And, you guessed it, the D-backs are on the list. Szymborski proposes a deal that would send shortstop Chris Owings, third baseman Matt Davidson and catcher Stryker Trahan to Tampa Bay.
Bringing in Price is the quickest way to match whatever the Dodgers are planning (and obviously would also keep the Dodgers from getting Price themselves) without spending $200 million. The problem that the Diamondbacks face is that they aren't an ideal trade match for the Rays. Their best trade chip, RHP Archie Bradley, is almost certainly off limits, while Davidson doesn't fill a position of need for Tampa Bay because of Evan Longoria.
The proposal is intriguing because it doesn't include Bradley, who was named as the National League's top pitching prospect in May by ESPN's Keith Law.
And yes, this proposed deal would include three of the D-backs' top ten prospects, but all three seemingly have their immediate big league futures blocked by established players Didi Gregorius, Martin Prado and Miguel Montero.
Unfortunately for Arizona fans, Szymborski also has the Dodgers on the list of sensible suitors for Price.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.