Marlins hire D-backs Triple-A manager
Butler will also serve as the Marlins' baserunning and bunting instructor.
Butler had managed the Triple-A affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks since the team's inception in 2009 and had been a candidate to join the D-backs' coaching staff this offseason after the club parted ways with first-base Steve Sax, and with third-base coach Matt Williams being a Washington Nationals managerial candidate.
Butler led the aces to a 366-352 record in five seasons, and led Reno to its first-ever Pacific Coast League playoff appearance in 2011. He served as the D-backs' first-base coach in 2005, and spent nine seasons in the Arizona organization -- eight of which were as a manager.
The Diamondbacks said in a press release that they are "actively working" toward filling the vacancy left by Butler's departure.
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.