D-backs' Brandon McCarthy understands GM Kevin Towers' comments
Starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy was a guest host on Fox Sports 1's 'Crowd Goes Wild' and got a chance to respond to Towers' strong comments.
"I get the comments -- they're loud and they're out there, but I understand the underlying point, we do need a personality shift, we do need to be tougher as a team," McCarthy said. "I don't think that necessarily means we need to go out and hit people, it's not a head-hunting thing. It's just simply that we have to change our mentality.
"We're up against a $300 million behemoth (the Los Angeles Dodgers), and the only way you can compete with that is to try and find new ways to beat them, and for us is just going to be a personality and a clubhouse shift."
McCarthy, who plunked five batters in 135 innings of work in 2013, explained to the rest of the panel (including Regis Philbin) that deliberately hitting batters is part of the game.
"Usually a couple a year," he said. "Sometimes, (the order) comes down from the top and somebody tells you 'we need to hit this guy for the sake of balancing things out.'"
McCarthy was also asked about the Dodgers' Chase Field pool celebration after clinching the NL West title in Phoenix last month, but avoided any controversy with his answer.
"I'm fine with it," he said. "Next year is what we need to focus on. It's how do we stop them from swimming in our pool next year? How do we get to celebrate in our pool next year? We open with them in Australia -- you focus on those games and let everything from last year just fall behind."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Yoke of Leadership
- D-backs' GM Kevin Towers: If improvement doesn't happen, 'heads are gonna roll'
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?