D-backs' Brandon McCarthy understands GM Kevin Towers' comments
Starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy was a guest host on Fox Sports 1's 'Crowd Goes Wild' and got a chance to respond to Towers' strong comments.
"I get the comments -- they're loud and they're out there, but I understand the underlying point, we do need a personality shift, we do need to be tougher as a team," McCarthy said. "I don't think that necessarily means we need to go out and hit people, it's not a head-hunting thing. It's just simply that we have to change our mentality.
"We're up against a $300 million behemoth (the Los Angeles Dodgers), and the only way you can compete with that is to try and find new ways to beat them, and for us is just going to be a personality and a clubhouse shift."
McCarthy, who plunked five batters in 135 innings of work in 2013, explained to the rest of the panel (including Regis Philbin) that deliberately hitting batters is part of the game.
"Usually a couple a year," he said. "Sometimes, (the order) comes down from the top and somebody tells you 'we need to hit this guy for the sake of balancing things out.'"
McCarthy was also asked about the Dodgers' Chase Field pool celebration after clinching the NL West title in Phoenix last month, but avoided any controversy with his answer.
"I'm fine with it," he said. "Next year is what we need to focus on. It's how do we stop them from swimming in our pool next year? How do we get to celebrate in our pool next year? We open with them in Australia -- you focus on those games and let everything from last year just fall behind."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.